Skip to main content

Recently lost your group health care coverage?
Highmark can help

If you’ve recently lost your group health care coverage, here are some options you need to know about:


COBRA allows many employees to continue their existing group coverage when they lose their job. If you’re eligible for COBRA coverage, you may also qualify for a subsidy from the federal government to help you pay for this coverage. Please contact your employer for more information.

“Conversion” from group coverage

If you’re not eligible for or prefer not to enroll in COBRA coverage, your employer is no longer in business or your COBRA benefits end, you may be entitled to what is called a “conversion” policy. Highmark offers conversion options for individuals and their dependents who:

You won’t be asked any medical information when you apply, so conversion coverage may be appealing if you or your eligible dependents have any pre-existing health care problems. To qualify under HIPAA, you will need evidence of “creditable coverage” from your last employer’s insurer when you apply.

IMPORTANT: You only have a limited amount of time to apply for a conversion policy, or you will lose your right to this coverage. Please call the toll-free number below to learn more.

Individual Products

Highmark also offers a variety of other individual health care programs to meet your needs and budget. Many of these programs require you to disclose information about your health status and health history when you apply.  For individuals who do not qualify for these programs, a guaranteed-issue health plan may be available.  Please visit us online to learn more: